Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Ways to Make a Wool Cover

I first learned about wool diaper covers when I was pregnant, with many months to go before my due date.  That meant that I had plenty of time to explore different ways of making wool covers to find out what method I liked the best.  There are three main ways to construct a wool diaper cover -- through crochet, knitting, and sewing.

Materials:

For both crochet and knitting, you need to find a source of untreated wool yarn.  If the package says "superwash", then it has been chemically treated to be machine washable.  This is great news for sock and sweater makers, but not so great for cloth diapers.  I've tried a few different brands of wool, and I have to say that so far I really prefer Paton's classic wool.  This is a worsted weight yarn that is spun a little bit loosely but still holds together quite well (I rarely split a stitch).  It also comes in a variety of really lovely colors, and it seems to hold up really well under a moderate amount of use when it has been knit or crocheted tightly.

For sewing, you need to find your fabric source.  Some people prefer to buy new fabric, and some people prefer to source fabric from used sweaters or blankets.  Again, if you are buying new fabric, check labels carefully, and stay away from anything that has been chemically treated.  An advantage of buying new fabric is that you may be able to find something that is certified organic.  However, many people prefer the challenge of using old sweaters, and claim that "upcycling" is more eco-friendly because it is repurposing something that may otherwise have ended up in the landfill.

If you are sewing your diaper covers, you will also need to source your thread carefully.  Cotton is absorbent, and can cause moisture to seep through at the seams if you use it in your diaper cover construction.  I find that polyester thread works well.  You may also wish to try a wool thread, but as these are mostly produced for embroidery machines, they can be very expensive.

Pattern:

Whatever method of construction you prefer, you are going to need a pattern to follow.  I have used a whole slew of free patterns that I have found all over the internet.  Here are a few of my favorites:

Crochet:

http://crochetcastle.blogspot.com/2009/04/easiest-crochet-wool-soaker-pattern.html
If I had it all to do over again, I would have stopped right here instead of trying out the dozen or so other crochet patterns.  This pattern is not only easy, it's also easy to customize.  And believe it or not, it actually fit my baby better than a lot of the other "fitted" diaper cover designs.  It also stretches as my baby grows better than many of the other designs that I've tried.  I can't say enough good stuff about this pattern.

Knit:

http://www.tricksyknitter.com/product/tiny-pants/
Like the crochet castle pattern, this pattern is both simple and versatile.  It is made by knitting in the round and is, therefore, seamless.  I will admit that, when I tried to knit diaper covers for my baby, I was still very much a beginner knitter.  It took me much longer to finish a knit piece, and they did not wear well because I had knit the piece more loosely than a more experienced knitter would have done.  But I have a friend who knit this pattern for her diaper covers, and she was very happy with the design.

Sewing:

http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/2007/10/free-soaker-pattern.html
This pattern has become a bit of a legend among cloth diaper sewers.  It fits beautifully and looks great.  It's not quite as simple of a design as the other patterns, but it also has a printable pattern, so you can lay it down over your fabric and cut away to get the right shape.  This diaper pattern is sized, and doesn't stretch much as your baby grows.  They only take a few seams to make, though, so if you have cheap enough materials, it might be worth it.  These also make a great pattern for underwear for those who are doing Elimination Communication parenting, or for toddler underwear after your child is fully out of diapers.

There are many other patterns and tutorials available on the internet, designed for people of all different levels of proficiency.  If you are feeling especially creative, you may even wish to design your own pattern.  (Don't forget to share it with me!)  Have fun crafting your very own wooly diaper creations!

PS:
Don't have time to make your own wool diaper covers?  Support a WAHM!  Check out the beautiful cloth diaper covers I have in my Etsy shop!




No comments:

Post a Comment